South Africa / China Joint Research Programme at University of Venda in South Africa 2020
This Programme aims to contribute to scientific advancement in both countries by funding researchers’ mobility in the frame of joint research projects in specified research fields.
The purpose of the JRP is to support the research mobility of researchers between the two countries to carry out joint research projects. In this regard, funding under the JRP will be made available for visits and exchanges (mobility) of researchers/ scientists conducting joint research in the above-mentioned thematic areas.
South Africa / China Joint Research Programme at University of Venda in South Africa Description
- Applications Deadline: November 20, 2020
- Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue research.
- Study Subject: Applicants interested in applying under the Joint Research Programme (JRP) are invited to submit their joint research proposals in the following designated thematic areas prioritised by South Africa and China:
- Biotechnology in health and agriculture
- Traditional medicines
- Renewable energy
- Water resources
- Palaeoanthropology / archaeology
Joint research proposals under the Flagship Programme (FP) can only be submitted within the Big Data (in Astronomy) thematic area. Any other flagship proposal submitted outside this theme will not be considered for funding.
- Scholarship Award: South Africa: The total amount requested from the NRF, under the JRP, should not exceed R400 000 per project. Funding will be made available for a maximum of two years, to be paid in annual instalments (R200 000 per year) and exclusively for research activities commencing in 2020.
The total amount requested from the NRF, under the FP, should not exceed R1 mil per project. Funding will be made available for a maximum of two years, to be paid in annual instalments (R500 000 per year) and exclusively for research activities commencing in 2020.
- China: The total amount requested from MOST, under the JRP, should not exceed RMB 1 mil. Funding will be made available for a maximum of two years to be paid in annual instalments (RMB 500,000 per year). Reimbursements will be paid to the implementing institutions. Reimbursements will be received upon submitting annual scientific and financial reports to MOST. A Guideline of Implementation shall be provided after selection to the projects endorsed by the Programme.
The total amount requested from MOST, under the FP, should not exceed RMB 2 mil. Funding will be made available for a maximum of two years to be paid in annual instalments, RMB 1 mil per year
- Nationality: This call is open for researchers from China and South Africa.
- Number of Scholarships: Numbers not given
- Scholarship can be taken in South Africa
Eligibility for the South Africa / China Joint Research Programme at University of Venda in South Africa
Eligible Countries: This call is open for researchers from China and South Africa.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
For both the JRP and FP:
- An application must designate two Principal Investigators (PIs), one in South Africa and one in China, who will bear the main responsibility for the project, including its technical and administrative coordination as well as scientific and financial reporting; project proposals submitted by young, early-stage or mid-career researchers as well as project proposals with involvement of doctoral students and/or female researchers will be prioritised for funding by both sides; and
- The focus of the Programme lies on new international partnerships. Therefore, follow-up proposals with the same research partners will not be prioritised for funding (if they have already been funded under this Programme).
South Africa: This call is open to working researchers residing in South Africa and affiliated with a recognised higher education or research institution such as a university, university of technology or science council. Commercial institutions and private educational institutions are not eligible to apply under this programme. The South African applicant must be in possession of a PhD. In terms of human capital development, South African applications from previously disadvantaged individuals and the involvement of historically disadvantaged higher education institutions will be prioritised.
China: This call is open to working researchers residing in Mainland China and affiliated with a recognised Chinese higher education university/college, research institution, or enterprise.
South Africa / China Joint Research Programme at University of Venda in South Africa Application Procedure
How to Apply: South Africa:
Applicants can apply by following the steps below:
- Applications must be submitted through an online application process to the NRF by accessing the link: https://nrfsubmission.nrf.ac.za/
- Register/Login using your ID/Passport number and password.
- Go to “My Applications” and select “Create Application”.
- Select the call for which you are applying for: South Africa/China Joint Call for Proposals 2020.
- Remember to complete all sections of the application as indicated on the online application form.
- Please attach the necessary documents in PDF file in the following order: CV of partner and the budget of partner. Remember to submit your application on completion.
- Completed applications will go to the host University for verification before being forwarded to the NRF for further processing.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Applications that do not meet the eligibility criteria as outlined in this document will not be considered.
- Applications submitted outside the NRF Online Submission System will not be accepted.
- No hard copies will be accepted and will automatically be disqualified by the NRF.
- Only applications endorsed by the research office or its equivalent at higher education or research institutions will be accepted. Please contact the institutional research office or equivalent, if you have any queries.
China: Application forms and guidelines for Chinese applicants could be found through the following link: http://www.cistc.gov.cn/.